Tyne and Wear HER(720): Heworth chase or park - Details
Heworth chase or park
Gardens Parks and Urban Spaces
Attached to the episcopal estate of Gateshead was Bishop Puiset's favourite 'chase' of Heworth. It had the added advantage of being well-wooded, and hence of great economic value (being assessed by the forester at 1,000 marks) since timber could easily be extracted and moved by rafts on the Tyne. As it was uncomfortably close to the prior and convent's demesne of Heworth there were disputes of ownership, finally resolved in 1195 when Puiset confirmed to the convent his whole wood of Heworth. The prior received a grant of free warren in his park at Heworth from Bishop Farnham in 1248. The location and size of this tract of land are unknown.
<< HER 720 >> G.V. Scammell, 1956, Hugh de Puiset pp. 164-5 & n., 188 R. Surtees, 1820, History of...Durham, II, 83 F.W.D. Manders, 1973, A History of Gateshead, 2; Pearson, Lynn, 2010, Played in Tyne and Wear - Charting the heritage of people at play, p 10