Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Sunderland, Mowbray Park, south lodge

Tyne and Wear HER(7222): Sunderland, Mowbray Park, south lodge - Details

Back to Search Results



Sunderland, Mowbray Park, south lodge



Gardens Parks and Urban Spaces

Garden Building

Gate Lodge

Early Modern


Extant Building

Lodge to Mowbray Park, now disused. Dated 1856. Building contractor W. Scott. Coursed squared limestone with ashlar dressings including projecting quoins. Welsh slate roof with fishscale bands and stone gable coping, limestone and ashlar chimneys. Tudor style. One storey. Projecting gabled porch at right. Date 1856 incised in keystone. Tudor-arched door in porch with bargeboards. Mullioned and transomed window. Borough coat of arms on stone plaque in gable peak. Mowbray Park is on Building Hill, from which stone was quarried for many of Sunderland’s buildings. The Corporation purchased it from the Mowbray family for £2000 in 1854, the grounds were laid out by the Marquis of Londonderry’s gardener, Lawson, and the park was opened in 1857. Windows and doors blocked and building derelict at time of survey. LISTED GRADE 2




Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, 920-1/22/224; T. Corfe, 1983, The Builkdings of Sunderland 1814-1914, p 29

Back to Search Results