Tyne and Wear HER(723): Heworth, quarries - Details
There are references to medieval stone quarries on Heworth Moor and at Over Heworth. In 1359-60 two men were given separate plots on the moor to quarry, one with 5 men and the other with 3. In 1371 Chilsid quarry is specifically named. In 1378 3 men took the quarry at the end of Upper Heworth for a year, to work it by 2 men with 2 picks. In 1580 Edward Thomson leased a stone quarry at Over Heworth and Ric. Bell and associates took a new quarry. There are also references to payment for the carriage of stone, including millstones, across Heworth land to the Tyne.
<< HER 723 >> J. Booth, ed. 1889, Halmota Prioratus Dunelmensis, Surtees Society, 82, pp. 26, 105, 150, 223