Tyne and Wear HER(7250): Earsdon, Front Street, Church of St. Alban - Details
Title of image: St Alban's Church, Earsdon
Description: A black and white photograph of St. Alban's Church, Earsdon taken arround 1890. It was taken at the entrance to the churchyard several gravestones are shown. The clock on the church tower shows the time to be 1.05pm.
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies
Accession number: NCL 000952
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Earsdon, Front Street, Church of St. Alban
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Parish church. 1836-7 by John and Benjamin Green; 1889 chancel. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings, plinth and quoins. Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings. West tower, nave, chancel with north vestry and south porch. Early English style. Gothic-panelled double south door in tower. Boarded porch door in arch. Interior - queen-post roof, columns support west gallery, arch to north organ chamber. Sixteenth century glass in east nave lancets, possibly by Galyon Hone for Hampton Court, presented in 1874 by Lord Hastings, restored by L.C. Evetts in 1958, armorials of Henry VII and Henry VIII. LISTED GRADE 2
Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, 4/26; L.C. Evetts, "Sixteenth Century Heraldic Glass at Earsdon, Northumberland", Archaeologia Aeliana, Series 4, Vol XXXVII, pages 333-339; The Archaeological Practice Ltd. 2012, The Edward Eccles Hall, Earsdon Renewable Energy Project - Archaeological Watching Brief