Fast Search

You are Here: Home / North Shields, Northumberland Square, Church of St. Columba

Tyne and Wear HER(7299): North Shields, Northumberland Square, Church of St. Columba - Details

Back to Search Results


7299


N Tyneside


North Shields, Northumberland Square, Church of St. Columba


North Shields


NZ36NE


Religious Ritual and Funerary


Church


Nonconformist Church


Early Modern


C19


Extant Building


Non-conformist church. 1853-8 by John Dobson for the Anti-Burgher Society, later Presbyterian. Sandstone ashlar central block, brick wings. Welsh slate roof. L-plan. Palladian style. Basement and two storeys. Central recessed double door under canopy. Half-glazed door and overlight in fifth bay. Sash windows. Banded brick chimneys {1}. An example of Dobson's use of "Renaissance classicism" in the last decade of his work. St. Columba's Presbyterian church was built 1856-7. It was integrated into Northumberland Square by its plainer wings of brick, but had a "particularly dignified" stone fa├žade. Five bays with Tuscan half columns and at the angles pilasters supported an entablature below cornice and balustrade, standing on a rusticated base {2}. LISTED GRADE 2


3560


6853


NZ35606853



Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, 12/104; T. Faulkner and A. Greg, 1987, John Dobson Newcastle Architect 1787-1865, p 90; Peter F Ryder, 2012, Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Newcastle and North Tyneside

Back to Search Results