Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Tynemouth lighthouse

Tyne and Wear HER(730): Tynemouth lighthouse - Details

Back to Search Results


N Tyneside

Tynemouth lighthouse




Navigation Aid


Post Medieval


Documentary Evidence

In 1664 Colonel Villiers, governor of Tynemouth Castle, obtained a grant of 1s toll from every English ship and 3s from every foreign ship for the maintenance of the light, and built a new lighthouse at the north-east corner of the Castle promontory. A free-standing structure, this was a replacement for the beacon which had previously burnt on a turret of the priory church. An 18th century view shows it to have been a stepped tower, presumably of stone, of 3-4 stages beneath a conical roof. The light was provided by coals burnt in an iron basket. This tower survived until c. 1775 when it was partly or wholly taken down and rebuilt. From the Villiers family it passed to their relatives the Fowkes. In 1775 the old tower was rebuilt. In 1802 a revolving oil lamp with reflectors was installed in place of the coal fire. The lighthouse was purchased from William Fowke by the London Trinity House in 1836, and was pulled down in 1898 after the building of new lighthouses at St. Mary's Island (HER no. 1037) and Souter Point (HER no. 2489). SCHEDULED ANCIENT MONUMENT




<< HER 730 >> H.H.E. Craster, 1907, Northumberland County History, The Lighthouse, VIII, Plate XIV opp. 152, 201, 205-06 H.A. Adamson & S.S. Carr, 1899, Tynemouth Lighthouse and the Governor's House,Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle, 2, VIII, 124-5 H.A. Adamson, 1899, The Villiers Family as Governors of T Cas & owners of the lighthouse, Archaeologia Aeliana, 2, XX, 15-26 S.S. Carr, 1901, Tynemouth Lighthouse,Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle, 2, IX, 5, 10-11 M. Hope Dodds, 1928, The North Shields Lighthouses, p 8-10

Back to Search Results