Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Tynemouth beacon

Tyne and Wear HER(731): Tynemouth beacon - Details

Back to Search Results


N Tyneside

Tynemouth beacon




Signalling Structure


Post Medieval


Documentary Evidence

It is not known when the light at Tynemouth Castle was established, but there is reference in 1582 to "the kepinge of a continuall light in the night season at the easte ende of the churche of Tinmouthe castle, as in former times had ben, for the more safegarde of such shippes as should passe by that coast". Unlike the candle lights at Shields (HER nos. 4556 and 4557), it was a coal fire burnt in an open brazier on the top of one of the two turrets at the east end of the priory church. It was a private light, not maintained by the Trinity House but by the captain of Tynemouth Castle, who by agreement with the Trinity House, collected the lightage dues. The first known owner of the light was Henry, eighth earl of Northumberland. It was probably lit only at half-tide when the water was deep enough for ships to enter the Tyne, and this arrangement continued until 1659 when the stairs to the top of the turret collapsed. Five years later it was replaced by a stone tower (HER no. 730). SCHEDULED ANCIENT MONUMENT




<< HER 731 >> H.H.E. Craster, 1907, Northumberland County History, The Lighthouse, VIII, 205-06 M. Hope Dodds, 1928, The North Shields Lighthouses, p 8-10

Back to Search Results