Tyne and Wear HER(7361): Willington, Churchill Street, Church of St. Mary - Details
Willington, Churchill Street, Church of St. Mary
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Parish church. 1876 by Austin and Johnson. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar plinth, quoins and dressings. Welsh slate roof. Nave and south porch; chancel with north vestry. Early English style. Door with elaborate hinges and handle in porch. Nave has lancet windows. Roof has bellcote, cross finials. Interior - plaster with ashlar dressings, king-post roof. Corbelled arches. Aumbry with canopy in south chancel. Octagonal stone font. High quality rood screen commemorates Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee; Gothic style pulpit is a World War One memorial. LISTED GRADE 2.
Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, 7/150