Tyne and Wear HER(7365): Wallsend, The Green, Cross House - Details
Wallsend, The Green, Cross House
School, now private residence. 1748 gift to village by Isabel Stewart, daughter of James Moncaster of Newcastle and Wallsend; 1819, porch restored c1980. Rendered; rubble rear with ashlar quoins; pantiled roof. Two storeys. One-storey entrance porch. Renewed door. Sash windows. Roof has low gable parapet and a rendered chimney. Dame Eleanor Allan (founder of Dame Allan's school in 1705 which still exists) tuaght for short period in this house, before founding the school. In 1748 the house was officially donated to become the village school. Following the dereliction of Holy Cross Church after 1797, it was used temporarily as a church, from 1804, until 1809 when St. Peter's Church opened. During that period, the famous engineer, Robert Stephenson was baptised there (22 January 1804). Reverted to use as private dwelling in 1835. LISTED GRADE 2.
Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, 7/154; W. Richardson, 1923, History of Parish of Wallsend; North Tyneside Council, 2006, The Green Conservation Area Character Appraisal, Draft August 2006; William Richardson, 1923, History of the Parish of Wallsend; Ken Hutchinson, 2005, Images of England: Wallsend