Tyne and Wear HER(737): Cullercoats, Quaker burial ground - Details
Cullercoats, Quaker burial ground
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Friends Burial Ground
A private burying ground was provided for the Society of Friends in Cullercoats in 1661 or 1662 by John Dove of Whitley. "He enclosed a piece of ground at the north end of John Street (formerly called Back Lane)...and interments took place here until 1818, or - except for one odd burial - until 1739. This plot is marked on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey 6 inch map on the east side of the lane, and "was situated at the north-west corner of the field called Arnold's close, near to the Marden burn". Phillips in 1894 records seeing many headstones, and lists the burials. The enclosure became overgrown, and in 1872 Tynemouth Corporation removed the headstones and human remains to Preston cemetery so that John Street could be extended to join Whitley Road (Lane). Phillips' plan shows the site to be under John Street, "a little to the north of the Primitive Methodist Chapel". The headstones, some 17th century, and a plaque recording their removal, are set at the east end of the south wall of Preston Cemetery.
<< HER 737 >> M. Phillips, 1894, Forgotten Burying Grounds of the Society of Friends (second paper), Archaeologia Aeliana, 2, XVI, 275-94 H.H.E. Craster, 1907, Cullercoats Township, Northumberland County History, VIII, 28; Ron Wright, 2002, People's History - Cullercoats, pp 8 and 28