Tyne and Wear HER(7374): Wallsend, Station Road, Church of St. Luke - Details
Wallsend, Station Road, Church of St. Luke
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Parish church. 1885-87 by Oliver, Leeson and Wood; 1895 west vestries; 1906 tower, chancel and lady chapel; land given by G.B. Hunter. Rock-faced snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings, plinth and quoins; Welsh slate roof. Early English style. Central west double door. 3-stage tower with lancet windows and belfry openings. Nave bellcote. Interior - painted plaster with ashlar dressings. Boarded kingpost roofs. Dog-tooth moulding to arcade piers. Open arches to chancel. Glass in north aisle by Baguley, Newcastle; west window in north aisle is South African War Memorial; east window is First World War Memorial by Whilhemina Geddes of Dublin. Shares site with contemporary school and rectory built of same stone. LISTED GRADE 2.
Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, 6/168