Tyne and Wear HER(7385): Birtley, Elisabethville, The Institute/Albert - Details
Birtley, Elisabethville, The Institute/Albert
A short-lived cinema was opened in 1921 in one of the wooden buildings at Elisabethville left vacant by the Belgian refugees when they returned home in 1919. The cinema seated 560 people and was run by Augustine Devereaux of the Empire Theatre, Newcastle. On Sundays it was used for bible classes and Sunday Schools. The cinema closed in 1923 under the ownership of Walter Brydon.
F. Manders, 1995, Cinemas of Gateshead, p 10