Tyne and Wear HER(739): Marden watermill - Details
Water Power Production Site
The Northumberland County History reports that, "though the water-mill of Marden is not mentioned by name before the suppression of the monastery, it was probably one of the six mills belonging to Tynemouth in 1292, and may be identified with the water-mill existing in 1483, when Richard III gave $100 to Prior Boston as provision for its maintenance. In 1538 Marden mill was in the occupation of Robert Dove and John Dove, and formed part of the prior's demesne". It was rebuilt in 1598- 99, and was let, in 1610, to two Londoners to hold of the Crown. Topographical descriptions suggest that its site was at the mouth of a burn east of Marden Farm and now under Cullercoats.
<< HER 739 >> H.H.E. Craster, 1907, Northumberland County History, VIII, 106, 261, 263, 280-1 and n., 328