Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Gateshead, Bensham Road, Nos. 101-107

Tyne and Wear HER(7396): Gateshead, Bensham Road, Nos. 101-107 - Details

Back to Search Results



Gateshead, Bensham Road, Nos. 101-107




Multiple Dwelling


Early Modern


Extant Building

This 3 storey terrace (with cellars) complements the Listed Crown Public House on the corner to form an important early group contribution to the Windmill Hills area (it is present on a map of 1836). The carved stone street sign set into the wall demonstrates the quality and status of the development when built, mirroring a somewhat similar, slightly earlier, plaque just along the road at Walker Terrace. An advertisement To Let in Gateshead Observer describes a property as having 7 rooms, a kitchen, 2 cellars and a small garden. Constructed of red brick to the front elevation, with sandstone rubble to the rear, they have unfortunately been pebble-dashed. Number 105 also has a 19th century red brick extension. Stone dressings include cills and lintels to the 2nd floor and a cill band to the 1st floor. The remains of a cill band to the ground floor are still visible in places between the unfortunate modern shopfronts. The slate roofs are at a surprisingly low pitch, with substantial brick chimneys (1 truncated) between properties. Whilst the covering of the original brick with pebbledash and render harms its visual qualities, the retention of the height, proportions, stone detailing and roofs ensure that the charm of the terrace is not lost, and there may be a future opportunity for the removal of the render. Although the original sashes have been replaced with modern windows, no. 105 still has original internal features, including operational window shutters, alcoves and cornicing to the first. In 1840 the owner of the land was William Gibbon. The eastern end of the terrace was demolished in 1972. LOCAL LIST




Gateshead Council Local List; Frank Manders, 1973, History of Gateshead; Gateshead Observer 24 March 1849

Back to Search Results