Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Gateshead, Gateshead East Cemetery, Fairhaven Lodge

Tyne and Wear HER(7410): Gateshead, Gateshead East Cemetery, Fairhaven Lodge - Details

Back to Search Results



Gateshead, Gateshead East Cemetery, Fairhaven Lodge



Religious Ritual and Funerary

Cemetery Lodge

Early Modern


Extant Building

This attractive and substantial 2 storey lodge building, constructed in snecked stonework as the Superintendent’s House with offices, is part of the suite of buildings at Gateshead East Cemetery. It is positioned right at the entrance of the cemetery, making it very prominent, and was clearly designed to make an impression as people entered the cemetery, not least through the large pointed arched gateway marking the pedestrian entrance. The principal façade, to the north, exhibits several gables, with a large one fronting a wing, perpendicular to the main range, with 2 smaller gables surmounting first floor windows. The pattern is repeated, though with less depth, to the opposite elevation. On the western gable, fronting the main entrance, there is an elaborate and well-carved datestone, featuring the Gateshead crest and a goat figure (sadly rather disfigured now) within a roundel, and a broad arched window below. Solid ashlar chimneys grace the slate roof (with triangulate detail at the base to the west), and the water tabling has a rolled apex detail common with the other cemetery buildings. The mainly square-headed windows (plus a pointed arched lancet) have unfortunately been replaced with plastic casements, but the moulded solid lintels and cills remain, with chamfered edges also included to the stones forming the jambs. Overall, it a large and good quality example of a cemetery lodge building that truly enhances its setting. MATERIALS Sandstone, slate, timber ARCHITECT John Dobson (?) BUILDER John Harrison DATES 1862 ADDITIONAL INFORMATION The house was part of the package of benefits of the job, along with coals, gas and water and an annual salary of £79. It is not absolutely certain that John Dobson designed the building, however, there is a reference in the committee minutes of 25th February 1861 to Dobson demanding payment for plans, surveys and preliminary arrangements for laying out the ground he had prepared. As there is no reference to anyone else preparing plans, apart from Mr Lamb for the ‘porch’ to be built onto St Edmund’s Chapel as a coffin receptacle, it would make sense that the all the original buildings, as well as the layout, were designed by Dobson. Unfortunately no plans survive. The contract for the building of the superintendent’s house and gardener’s house was let to Mr John Harrison for £100, and the work was reported complete on 6th March 1862. The research assistance of Caroline Harrop is gratefully acknowledged. FUTURE RECOMMENDATIONS It would be positive if the plastic windows could be replaced with more appropriate timber sliding sash windows. LOCAL LIST




Gateshead Council Local List Fact Sheet X20/LL/028; Tyne and Wear Archives CB.GA/8/1; Gateshead Observer 18 May 1861 and 6 Nov 1861

Back to Search Results