Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Gateshead, Gateshead East Cemetery, nonconformist chapel

Tyne and Wear HER(7412): Gateshead, Gateshead East Cemetery, nonconformist chapel - Details

Back to Search Results



Gateshead, Gateshead East Cemetery, nonconformist chapel



Religious Ritual and Funerary


Cemetery Chapel

Early Modern


Extant Building

STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE This attractive chapel in snecked stonework is part of the suite of buildings at Gateshead East Cemetery. Apparently designed by John Dobson, it features a distinctive steeply pitched slated roof with fishscale banding, creating an impression even from a distance. Dressings are in ashlar, including water tabling (with rolled tops), kneelers and quoins, with a small turret to the northern end ascending through a rather playful projecting feature loosely based on a buttress. To either side are feature windows, each with 2 lancet lights deeply inset, with quatrefoil lights to the apex under a hood moulding with small voussoirs to the pointed arch. This design detail is replicated in the east and west doorways to the northern end, whose doors feature simple curved bracket hinges, with more decorative hinges reserved for the main western doorway set in a deep mock-gable rising from a stepped access. The remaining lancets are slender and trefoil headed, with the leaded diamond pane windows apparently still present, although covered. A vestry was added to the chapel from the materials salvaged from the porch originally built on to St. Edmund’s Chapel as a receptacle for coffins. Now used for storage. MATERIALS Sandstone, slate, timber ARCHITECT John Dobson(?) BUILDER Thomas Dickinson DATES 1862 Vestry 1870 ADDITIONAL INFORMATION It is not absolutely certain that John Dobson designed the building, however, there is a reference in the committee minutes of 25th February 1861 to Dobson demanding payment for plans, surveys and preliminary arrangements for laying out the ground he had prepared. As there is no reference to anyone else preparing plans, apart from Mr Lamb for the ‘porch’ to be built onto St Edmund’s Chapel as a coffin receptacle, it would make sense that the all the original buildings, as well as the layout, were designed by Dobson. Unfortunately no plans survive. The contract for the building of the chapel was let at £100, and was reported complete by 13th May 1862. Thomas Dickinson, who built the chapel, also apparently undertook the contract for the boundary walls and palisading. The research assistance of Caroline Harrop is gratefully acknowledged. LOCAL LIST




Gateshead Council Local List Fact Sheet X20/LL/030; Tyne and Wear Archives CB.GA/8/1; Gateshead Observer 18 May 1861 and 28 May 1870

Back to Search Results