Fast Search

You are Here: Home / High Spen, Collingdon Rd, Collingdon Buildings/Holyoak House

Tyne and Wear HER(7432): High Spen, Collingdon Rd, Collingdon Buildings/Holyoak House - Details

Back to Search Results



High Spen, Collingdon Rd, Collingdon Buildings/Holyoak House

High Spen







Extant Building

DESCRIPTION This 2 and 3 storey building was originally the 2nd Co-operative stores premises in High Spen, with an adjoining manger’s house (Holyoak House). It is constructed in orange-red brick with stone dressings. The roof is of Welsh slate with punctured terracotta ridge tiles, and a gable to the south end of the west elevation. To the ground floor the historic shop-fronts have been replaced with a pebble-dashed panel with a row of plain windows above. The deep fascias remain, with heavily moulded cornice supported by brackets above, as do the stall risers of substantial stone blocks. There are 3 shop bays with rusticated pilasters set between them. There are 2 doorways set in rusticated stone surrounds with round-arched lights above. To the 1st floor there are various window patterns (including oculus lights) all with moulded stone sills and lintels. There is an elaborate stone dedication plaque of classical form with columns surmounted by a pediment. There is a deep cornice above, which also delineates the gable. A shop-front has been inserted into the south wall. The building was used extensively, with several departments (including butcher’s, drapery, cobblers and grocery) on the ground floor. There was millinery and hardware, but also a library, reading room, games room and public hall to the first floor. The building was therefore the social hub of the village and so of great importance to its social history. MATERIALS Red brick, stone, slate ARCHITECT William Crooks Jnr (Architect & Surveyor, Church Street, Blaydon) DATES 1913 (plans May 1912, Holyoake house Dec 1912) ADDITIONAL INFORMATION The building has 2’ 6” clay and gravel foundations, and a Northern Damp Proof Course 3” above ground level & below the floor. The storeys are 12’ and 11’ high. Structural timbers are 9” x 3” & 7” x 3”, and walls are 14” x 9” brick. The building was used as an Emergency Rest Centre and an Emergency Feeding Centre during WWII, as well as the stable to the rear being used by the Auxilliary Fire Service. LOCAL LIST




Gateshead Council Local List Fact Sheet X20/LL/050; Tyne and Wear Archives T282/plan/1868 and 1900 (1912)

Back to Search Results