Tyne and Wear HER(7452): Low Fell, Durham Road, North Dene House - Details
Low Fell, Durham Road, North Dene House
Two-storey, neo-Classical villa of ashlar sandstone and a Welsh slate roof shown on the First Edition OS plan, 1862. One of a cluster of large houses built on the west side of Durham Road. When constructed it was situated within a formal landscaped garden (HER16307). By 1897 a lodge had been added to the Durham Road entrance. The gardens were within dense woodland with a curved carriageway. Despite the construction of the college close to the house in the mid 20th century the grounds survived into the 1960s with the lodge still appearing on the 1974 OS plan. The house was converted into North Dene Technical College in the 1950s. At this time fireplaces were blocked up, new windows inserted and a first floor toilet extension added. The house retained an array of decorative plasterwork and ceilings and other period features. A billiard room extension was added in 1887. The house was recorded in 2008 by Addyman Archaeology and later in 2012 by URS. Demolished ahead of residential re-development of the site.
Gateshead Council Local List Fact Sheet X20/LL/072; Addyman Archaeology, 2008, Gateshead College - archaeological assessment and historic buildings recording; Simpson and Brown, 2007, Gateshead College Conservation Area Appraisal - Conservation Statement for North Dene House; URS, 2012, Gateshead College, Durham Road - historic buildings recording