Tyne and Wear HER(746): Backworth village (East Backworth) - Details
Backworth village (East Backworth)
The earliest reference, with other villages, seems to be in a grant by Henry II (1154-89) to Tynemouth Priory, and in 1189 two Backworths are mentioned. In 1292 Backworth was classed as possessing one of the priory's 10 manors, and yet - in 1296 - both Backworths were small, each having only 4 taxpayers. In 1377 there were 10 assorted tenants, sharing 5 cottages, 1 bondage holding and some land, and by 1539 the 10 were all copyhold tenants, with identical holdings. By 1650 the land to the north of the village had been divided up. The 19th century plans show an east-west 2-row village, with 2+ farms on the edge of the street, but a gap on the south side in front of the gardens of the 18th century Backworth Hall. Stone buildings still define the early village core, but beyond them mining has changed the village's surroundings.
<< HER 746 >> W.S. Gibson, 1846, The History of the Monastery at Tynemouth, I, passim; II (1847), lxxxiii, cxlviii Northumberland County History, Backworth Township, IX, 25-43 18th century, Deeds etc. Backworth Farms, 753 Box 3 Bundle B no. 1-Northumberland Records Office C188,Rentals, taxes etc. for Backworth, 753 Box 3 Bundle B no. 12 -Northumberland Records Office 1809, Backworth, Shelf 19 no. 5 -Northumberland Records Office, Watson Collection Parish of Earsdon (Backworth), Shelf 19, Bound Plans, nos. 4a, 5, 6, 7, 9, 13, 16 -Northumberland Records Office, Watson Collection 1822, Plan of Backworth Estate, ZGI XX/2 -Northumberland Records Office Tithe Award,1844, Backworth, DT 20 M -Northumberland Records Office 1580, Tynemouthshire Rental, 1DE 10/1 -Northumberland Records Office Ordnance Survey maps, 1858, 1st ed. 1:2500 LXXXIX.1 G. Brogan, 2004, Tyne and Wear Museums, Former Market Garden, Backworth, North Tyneside, Archaeological Assessment Archaeological Services University of Durham, 2002, Middle Farm, Backworth, Archaeological Assessment; Alan Williams Archaeology, 2007, Middle Farm, Backworth, North Tyneside, photographic record of ridge and furrow; The Northumberland Estates, 2012, Land between Dukes Meadow and East Farm Mews Backworth, Heritage Assessment