Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Felling, Gosforth Street, No. 1, Beeswing Hotel (Bethel)

Tyne and Wear HER(7488): Felling, Gosforth Street, No. 1, Beeswing Hotel (Bethel) - Details

Back to Search Results

Beeswing Public House, Sunderland Road, Felling



Felling, Gosforth Street, No. 1, Beeswing Hotel (Bethel)




Licensed Premises

Public House

Early Modern


Extant Building

A 2 ½ storey former public house nestling in a slope on a prominent corner site. Constructed principally in red brick, it has stone dressings accompanied by elaborate timber detailing. The slated roof is rather steep and incorporates tall, narrow brick chimneys in addition to gables, dormers and an intricate belvedere with copper roof. The large ground floor windows have sandstone detailing to their arched heads, whilst the 1st floor 6 over 1 sashes have solid stone lintels. The attic space is lit by 2 gables containing triple multipane casements and 3 large dormers housing the same, dressed with curled stone carved details and flimsy ball finials. All windows are of timber, painted green and cream, and most are original. The east (belvedere) corner is chamfered to accommodate the principal doorway, which is built in sandstone with an arched head and tall keystone over a simple light and wide 9 panel door. Above it a large cast iron clock sits on elaborate double brackets, and, further north, a timber oriel window with one in stone to the north corner. The building is an excellent example of the idiosyncratic design characteristic not only of Robert Deuchar establishments but many pubs in the area. Of these many incorporated an individualistic architectural feature to the corner to attract attention to the building, and in this case perhaps to give opportunity for viewing activities at Felling Shore. However, although the belvedere is most distinctive, every feature of the buildings makes an important contribution to its special character – including the slate roof (which is clearly visible due to the topography) the joinery details, the chimneys, carved details and wall mounted clock. MATERIALS Brick, sandstone, timber, slate ARCHITECT Fittings: Borroughes & Watts (Newcastle) Cabinets/billiard table: Lorentz Gullaschen DATES Rebuilt 1898 ADDITIONAL INFORMATION In the 1920s the licensee was Canadian former world heavyweight champion (1906-8) Tommy Burns, who set up a boxing ring on the 1st floor. The original Beeswing was owned by John Drummond, who had named the pub after a racehorse which won 51 races and was owned by Mr Orde of Nunnykirk. He sold up in the late 1850s. When it was rebuilt it was owned by R Deuchar & Co. who also owned the Royal Turf Hotel (now the Green Mandolin), which they rebuilt at the same time. LOCAL LIST




Gateshead Council Local List Fact Sheet X20/LL/110; Lynn Pearson, The Northumbrian Pub; Tyne and Wear Archives T353/1/1

Back to Search Results