Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Lamesley, Greenford Lane, Ravensworth Arms Hotel

Tyne and Wear HER(7491): Lamesley, Greenford Lane, Ravensworth Arms Hotel - Details

Back to Search Results



Lamesley, Greenford Lane, Ravensworth Arms Hotel





Early Modern


Extant Building

Clavering Arms on OS first edition. The hotel has three main elements - the core was originally a house called Clubdon Hall which was owned by the Clavering family, there is a large 19th century extension to the north which is in keeping with the original house, and a number of large scale modern extensions which is unsympathetic {2}. DESCRIPTION / STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE What is now known as the Ravensworth Arms Hotel has had a long and chequered career. Starting life as Clubden Hall (named after the nearby Club Dean), it was the modest seat of James Clavering, connected with the well-known family of Axwell. It then became the Clavering Arms public house, when it was partially rebuilt in 1859. At this time the Ravensworth Arms was in another part of the village. It inherited this name sometime after 1870, presumably when the other establishment ceased trading. Constructed in local coal measure sandstone, it was originally a classically proportioned, symmetrical house, in ashlar with vertically proportioned Georgian window openings. In the Victorian period however, an extension was added to the south in a different style, with smaller, mock-medieval Victorian windows against rough rubble stone. The extant windows are varied, but still of timber – some with glazing bars, some with leading, and margin sashes to the upper floor which may well date from the rebuilding. The building exhibits many features common to Ravensworth Estate properties – decorative moulded kneelers and octagonal stone chimneys being chief among them. Several mature Yew trees survive on the site, a remnant of the old gardens, making an important contribution to the setting. Unfortunately, however, most of the area is given over to tarmac for car parking or access. Many sprawling accretions are present to the rear of the property, but as they are set well back and low they do not seriously compromise the view from the front, with the original buildings still distinct. Perhaps one of the most interesting and intriguing features of the place are the warm orange, roughly textured brick curtilage walls, which are characteristic of 18th century landscaping and appear to be a survival from the original country house. However, they contain niches for which the purpose is unclear. Suggestions have included decorative features, such as busts, or beehives. Overall, though the setting is significantly altered, the building is still of significant historical importance to the village. MATERIALS Sandstone, timber, slate, orange brick DATES 18th century (1st phase) 1859 (2nd phase) ADDITIONAL INFORMATION It is rumoured that Catherine Cookson, the famous novelist, was conceived here! Her mother was a chambermaid, and her father a ‘gentleman’. Run by Joseph Edwards in 1858 (DF.HUG/136/1) LOCAL LIST




Gateshead Council Local List Fact Sheet X20/LL/113; Gateshead Council, April 1999, Conservation Area Policy Guidelines, Strategies and Character Statements, Proposed Lamesley Conservation Area, pp 82-85 (Supplementary Planning Guidance), pp 88-90; Gateshead Council, July 2003, Lamesley Conservation Area Policy Guidelines, Strategy and Character Statement (Appendix to Supplementary Planning Guidance 1), pp 29-34

Back to Search Results