Tyne and Wear HER(75): Sunderland, Thrylstanhugh coal staith - Details
Sunderland, Thrylstanhugh coal staith
Water Transport Site
Early fifteenth century documents record that the Benedictine cell of Wearmouth received annual rent for a coal staith, presumably on the River Wear, called Thrylstanhugh. In the 1470s Michael Salter, and later William Lambton, were tenants of an unnamed coal staith, perhaps but not certainly that of Thrylstanhugh. It has been suggested that it was sited on the north bank of the river, between the then Sunderland Bridge on the east (sited by the Ordnance Survey at NZ 396 574), and Raven's Wheel on the west (sited by the Ordnance Survey at NZ 391 581 on the first edition 6 inches plan of 1862), where the river ran deepest.
<< HER 75 >> Rev. J. Raine, 1854, The Inventories and Account Rolls of Jarrow and Monkwearmouth, Surtees Society,29, pp. 192-3, 212-15 J.W.Summers, 1858, History of Sunderland, pp. 295-7