Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Gateshead, High Street, No. 241

Tyne and Wear HER(7501): Gateshead, High Street, No. 241 - Details

Back to Search Results



Gateshead, High Street, No. 241





Early Modern


Extant Building

DESCRIPTION / STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE 241 High Street is a good example of an inter-war commercial property, exhibiting refined detailing combining simplified classical elements and gentle Art Deco influences. The striking façade captures the attention effectively this prime corner site, and offering an effective contrast to the Listed St Edmund’s Chapel, and making a valuable contribution to its setting. Spanning 2 floors, the large leaded metal windows with their stained glass detail (perhaps influenced by the Grey Nag’s Head) are striking in terms of materials and detailing as well as size, creating a dramatic impression on the street scene in this part of central Gateshead. Having been built as Doggarts Drapery store, the metal (probably bronze) panels interspersing the floors feature a ‘D’ monogram, with the faience pilasters between them continuing the theme. The three storey commercial premises has, unfortunately, had a poor quality modern shop front inserted to the ground floor, but the original faience facing, imitating sandstone, remains to the 1st and 2nd floors. The original corner entrance, characteristic of Gateshead architecture of this early 20th century period, is now lost, but the chamfered corner feature remains visible in the architecture. The flat roof is concealed behind Deco-style stepped parapets, and the cellars, containing an historic (probably original) boiler, are now partly blocked off. The rear two storey portion of the building is of limited interest. The building is representative of early commercial architecture, but interestingly using a national architect (from Westminster), who was presumably expected to create an impression of quality for the company in Gateshead. The builders, however, were still local (from Sunderland). The façade works in harmony with the slightly earlier frontage of 224 – 230 High Street, across the road, which displays a similar rhythm and styling, despite differing significantly in detail. MATERIALS Faience, metal ARCHITECT George Baines & Son BUILDER Robert Hudson & Sons DATES 1933 ADDITIONAL INFORMATION This site was previously Hopper’s Mill, before which it was a building associated with the monastery (visible on the 1830 map). It is rumoured that the cellars from the building originally connected with those of the monastery a short distance away. LOCAL LIST




Gateshead Council Local List Fact Sheet X20/LL/124; Tyne and Wear Archives CB.GA/BC/plan/1933/231

Back to Search Results