Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Gateshead, High Street, Nos. 289 and 291, Ye Olde Fleece

Tyne and Wear HER(7503): Gateshead, High Street, Nos. 289 and 291, Ye Olde Fleece - Details

Back to Search Results


7503


Gateshead


Gateshead, High Street, Nos. 289 and 291, Ye Olde Fleece


Gateshead


NZ26SE


Commercial


Licensed Premises


Public House


Early Modern


C19


Extant Building


STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE This 2 storey public house was originally called the Golden Fleece. In is in painted brick, and has been rebuilt to the 1st floor corner, with simple stone dressings – cills, lintels and 1st floor cornice. The hipped slate roof sports terracotta ridge and hip tiles and 2 brick chimneys. Unfortunately the pub front has been much altered to the ground floor (plastic windows on brick stall risers) and replacement timber windows have been inserted to the 1st floor, with 2 small rooflights to the south elevation. A traditional blue enamel Gateshead street sign ‘Chandless Street’ has been retained, set into the south wall, and it is important that this should remain. As well as the extensive alterations, there are several unattractive additions, including an air conditioner, satellite dishes and rooflights. MATERIALS Painted brick, sandstone, slate DATES Early 19th century Alts. 1889 ADDITIONAL INFORMATION A building is present on the 1830 map, and it is marked on the 1st Edition OS. Originally called The Golden Fleece. Owned by Christopher Jackson in 1870s, Allsopp & Sons in 1909 and Wears & Watson in 1920s. LOCAL LIST


2572


6301


NZ25726301



Gateshead Council Local List Fact Sheet X20/LL/126; Tyne and Wear Archives CB.GA/BC/plan/1889/68 and 1909/42 (J. Page & Sons Architects)

Back to Search Results