Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Wrekenton, High Street, Nos. 81-87

Tyne and Wear HER(7511): Wrekenton, High Street, Nos. 81-87 - Details

Back to Search Results



Wrekenton, High Street, Nos. 81-87




Multiple Dwelling


Early Modern


Extant Building

This early 19th century 2 storey terrace would have been one of the earliest in the area, likely to have been built soon after the enclosure of Gateshead Fell in 1822. In warm honey-coloured coursed, dressed stone to the front, with quoins and plinth, the rear is of rubble construction. A photograph of the early 20th century shows a smart row of well-made cottages with simple arched canopies over the doors, with number 87 already converted to commercial use as T W Simpson’s, with an inserted shopfront. With all now used as commercial premises, they have unfortunately been altered to a significant degree. New plastic/metal windows, new roofs in various materials (although no. 83 retains its slate) and a great deal of commercial paraphernalia including large plastic fascia signs, roller shutters and projecting signs all detract from the traditional character and local materials of the properties. To the rear, also, many of the openings are blocked or boarded, and there is an unsympathetic extension under a catslide with a large, ugly extractor. Any opportunity that may arise to remove these alterations would be most welcome. MATERIALS Sandstone, various DATES c1822 (by 1826) ADDITIONAL INFORMATION The original owners were as follows: Roger Bourn (81); Forster Fairlamb (83); G Pickering (85) and Fenwick representatives (87). LOCAL LIST




Gateshead Council Local List X20/LL/134; Historic Buildings Survey Report 1982; TWAS DT.BEL/2/213 (enclosure map of Wrekenton 1826)

Back to Search Results