Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Gateshead, Jackson Street, Nos. 22-34, Co-op

Tyne and Wear HER(7522): Gateshead, Jackson Street, Nos. 22-34, Co-op - Details

Back to Search Results



Gateshead, Jackson Street, Nos. 22-34, Co-op





Cooperative Store

Early Modern


Extant Building

1887. Includes a plaque showing a beehive which was the symbol of the co-operative store. Nos. 22-28: This is important as the first purpose-built premises for the Gateshead Industrial Co-operative Society in Gateshead, as for their first 20 years they had rented accommodation in Oakwellgate and Wellington Street. Alone it would be grand and imposing, but next to the larger, later premises looks more modest and full of the charm of its age. Built in warm, good quality local sandstone, it displays an abundance of classical detailing and fine carving which has aged well – including a substantial pediment supported on Corinthian columns with a crest at its centre, acanthus leaves, swags and tails, fluting and urns. These elements create an attractive rhythm and depth to the frontage, as well as offering a great deal of visual interest. The (apparently) slate roof is obscured by a parapet, and to the central portion large arched window openings offer a great deal of internal light. As was traditional, space was provided internally for a public hall to the front of the first floor, in addition to the commercial facilities, with the wing to the east side added later. Unfortunately, however, the windows have been replaced in plastic with a significant change in form. It would be positive for timber windows, to the original design, to be reinstated. Beneath these are a few areas where the facing stonework has been lost. The shopfronts to the ground floor have also been either completely obscured or obliterated by recent alterations, which it would be desirable to remove should the opportunity arise. Overall it makes a highly significant contribution to the centre of Gateshead, both by virtue of its detailed visual interest, and its historic importance. MATERIALS Sandstone, slate ARCHITECT E Jameson (Gateshead) DATES 1881 Nos. 30-34: Extension of 1925, Neo Baroque style. The white paint covers bronze plaques. As more space was needed to accommodate the increase in trade of the Co-operative Society, these new, 3-storey premises were built adjacent to the 1881 store. Faced in sandstone from the Windy Nook Quarries, they boast many carved classical details (including composite columns), responding well to the context of the original premises whilst making an impact of its own, with contemporary features such as stepping to the parapet (disguising the double-pitched slate roof). The chief drama of the architecture lies in the large, bronzed window frames, particularly the elliptically arched examples to each side (unfortunately now painted over in white), which are clearly evocative of their time and form an ensemble with those of the nearby buildings from the same period – 224-230 and 241 High Street. The building makes a strong statement with bold shapes and a great deal of depth (not least in the deep overhanging dentilled cornice). Although this impact has been reduced by the loss of the bronzed, deeply recessed display shopfronts, which have been replaced with poor quality modern infill, and the windows above with plastic frames, the essential character of the building remains intact. MATERIALS Sandstone (Windy Nook Quarry), bronzed metal, slate ARCHITECT W G Townsend Gray (CWS) Shopfronts & Interior fittings by Harris & Sheldon (Birmingham) ADDITIONAL INFORMATION The new premises included a drapery, furnishing, gentlemen’s and ladies’ boot departments, plus showrooms and gallery. There were also 3 main staircases and ‘ample lavatory accommodation’! LOCAL LIST




Gateshead Council Local List X20/LL/146 and X20/LL/145; Grace McCombie, 2009, Newcastle and Gateshead - Pevsner Architectural Guide, p. 35; TWAS CB GA/BC/plan/1923/15 and 1880/25; Gateshead Industrial Cooperative Society Ltd, opening new central premises, Jackson Street, Sat Sept 5th 1925, commemorative brochure

Back to Search Results