Tyne and Wear HER(754): Preston coal mine - Details
Preston coal mine
Coal Mining Site
The Northumberland County History suggests the priors of Tynemouth worked or let out coal pits in the Preston area, but the earliest published document is the account of Robert Arderne, the Queen's collector in Tynemouthshire, in 1577-78, which records the receipt of 66s 8d of new rents of the pit or pits and mines of coal acquired, opened, dug or won in the territory of Preston. The pits had been let to John Robinson for 21 years by letters dated 19th May 1584 (there is clearly some confusion over these dates). In 1590 the Preston pits were being worked by Peter Delaval, a London merchant, and later by his successors. The coal was of poor quality, "suited only for salt and lime making". A possible location of the Preston pits is the east side of the township.
<< HER 754 >> W.S. Gibson, 1847 The History of the Monastery at Tynemouth, II, cxlvii H.H.E. Craster, 1907, Northumberland County History, VIII, 17-19, 34, 321