Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Crawcrook, Main Road, Emmaville Memorial Hall

Tyne and Wear HER(7548): Crawcrook, Main Road, Emmaville Memorial Hall - Details

Back to Search Results



Crawcrook, Main Road, Emmaville Memorial Hall




Public Building

Meeting Hall

Early Modern


Extant Building

Single storey memorial hall constructed of orange-red brick with stone dressings. The Welsh slate roof has truncated chimneys and stone water tables, capstone and kneelers to gables. Brick mock buttresses with stone detailing delineate the bays in the front gable, with a small plinth capped with chamfered stone at dado height. Stone quoins flank the windows and door s linking solid lintels and sills. A dedication plaque, 9 light (12 panes each) leaded memorial stained glass window, with hood moulding over, and War Memorial plaque are situated centrally in the front gable. 2 light, 12 pane windows flank with stained glass in the lower light. A flat roofed wing extension has been added to either side as well as a CCTV camera on a black and white bracket. MATERIALS Brick, stone, slate, stained glass ARCHITECT William Dixon & Son DATES 1924 STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE This was formerly described as a ‘club’ and had a crucial social role to play in the area. It was used to cater for the welfare needs of the colliery workers of Emmaville and their families, for example acting as a soup kitchen as early as 1926. The building is an attractive, well-detailed example of its type, which retains important features such as its stained glass. LOCAL LIST




Gateshead Council Local List X20/LL/174; Harrison, History of Ryton

Back to Search Results