Tyne and Wear HER(757): North Shields, Coach Lane, Quaker Burial Ground 1 - Details
North Shields, Coach Lane, Quaker Burial Ground 1
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Friends Burial Ground
In 1698 the Society of Friends opened their first meeting house in North Shields. It stood at the Bull Ring, and near to it, in Coach Lane, opposite Trinity Church, they bought a piece of copyhold land from Robert Lawson of Chirton for a burial ground. Phillips notes a burial as early as 1711, but the NCH merely states the graveyard was in existence before 1729. In 1800 a new meeting house was acquired with, in 1811, a new burial ground close by. Both these graveyards were closed by order in Council under the Burial Acts of 1853-54. Phillips, in 1894, noted the site was still intact, "separated from the public road by a high stone wall", and used for grazing. Its most recent use was as a small garden. The burial ground was excavated in 2010 by PCA. No headstone were found intact. In total, 243 individual graves and 19 separate charnel features were recorded. Biographical information from the burials were very limited. A number of shroud pins were recovered along with coffin ittings such as hinges and brackets.
<< HER 757 >> M. Phillips, 1894, Forgotten Burying Grounds of the Society of Friends (second paper), Archaeologia Aeliana, 2, XVI, 274-5 H.H.E. Craster, 1907, Municipal History of the Borough, Northumberland County History, VIII, 372; Pre-Construct Archaeology, 2012, Archaeological exhumation of the former Quaker Burial Ground on Coach Lane, North Shields, North Tyneside, Tyne and Wear - post-excavation assessment; Tyne and Wear Archaeology, 2010, Quaker Burial Ground on Coach Lane, North Shields, North Tyneside - Archaeological Evaluation; Jennifer Proctor, Marit Gaimster, James Young Langthorne, 2016, A Quaker Burial Ground in North Shields - Excavations at Coach Lane, Tyne and Wear, Pre-Construct Archaeology Ltd, Monograph No. 20