Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Bill Quay, Shields Road, Parkside House (former Co-op)

Tyne and Wear HER(7600): Bill Quay, Shields Road, Parkside House (former Co-op) - Details

Back to Search Results



Bill Quay, Shields Road, Parkside House (former Co-op)

Bill Quay




Cooperative Store

Early Modern


Extant Building

This fine quality building was originally the Boldon Co-operative Society Store, which preceded the Felling Shore Society premises by a number of years. Designed by J H Moreton, who had worked on the Gateshead Union Workhouse a few years earlier, it was modest initially, with a small store area and plenty of warehousing. However, after the Felling Shore premises were opened, it was extended in order to compete for business. The warm hues of the wonderfully weathered brick are complemented beautifully by the abundant sandstone dressings, creating a rich texture accompanying the slate roof, which makes a striking contribution to a key route through the area. The use of variety is extended to the roofscape, which is especially idiosyncratic – involving 2 different styles of shaped gable, and a fine octagonal corner turret, surmounted by a faceted conical roof with hexagonal slate banding and a lead finial. The multiplicity of details includes stone water tabling with unusual kneelers, lintels and cills, a darker brick ‘wheel’, and ball finials to arched gables tops. The dark slate roof offers a pleasing backdrop to the detail of the building, with deep red terracotta ridge tiles. Unfortunately most of the windows to the upper floors have been replaced in plastic (although the 1901 extension to Station Road retains its metal ones), and the ground floor now displays a variety of shopfronts ranging in quality, but all of which would benefit from some improvement. MATERIALS Brick, sandstone, metal, slate ARCHITECT J H Moreton, South Shields DATES 1891 (plans) Extension 1901, Additional stables 1919 LOCAL LIST




Gateshead Council Local List X20/LL/232

Back to Search Results