Tyne and Wear HER(761): Monkseaton coal mine - Details
Monkseaton coal mine
Coal Mining Site
The Northumberland County History suggests the priors of Tynemouth worked or let out coal pits in the Monkseaton area, but the earliest published document is the account of Robert Arderne, the Queen's collector in Tynemouthshire, for 1577-78, which records the receipt of 20s of new rents for the pit or pits and mines of coal acquired, opened, dug or won in the territory of Monkseaton and other nearby places. The pits had been let to John Robinson for 21 years by letters patent dated 24 July 1584 (there is clearly some confusion over these dates). In 1584 the Monkseaton pits were drowned out, but mines did appear to be working in this area in the 17th century.
<< HER 761 >> W.S. Gibson, 1847 The History of the Monastery at Tynemouth, II, cxlviii H.H.E. Craster, 1907, Northumberland County History, VIII, 17-19 M. Snape, 2004, Tyne and Wear Museums, 88-90 Front Street, Monkseaton, Whitley Bay, North Tyneside Archaeological Assessment, p 12 Mining Institute, North of England Institute of Mining Engineers, 1885, Strata of Northumberland and Durham, Borings and Sinkings