Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Dunston, Staiths Road, Dunston Excelsior Club

Tyne and Wear HER(7612): Dunston, Staiths Road, Dunston Excelsior Club - Details

Back to Search Results



Dunston, Staiths Road, Dunston Excelsior Club





Early Modern


Extant Building

This building speaks of the aspirations of the Social Club trustess when it was erected, as it is in a grand style that sets it apart from its surroundings. The rainwater goods are cast in a faintly whimsical style, with the date flanked by hearts and scrolled brackets. The design was altered slightly from the original plans, but the fundamentals were adhered to: red brick with substantial and elaborate stone dressings. Of especial note is the stone banding to the base of the building, and the grand stone entrance with heavy bracketed canopy sailing beneath a broad canted oriel, with a date plaque nestling between. The ample fenestration provides abundant internal light, with large arched windows to the ground floor beneath triple lights divided by stone mullions. Chunky brackets elevate the eaves of the slate roof, the planes of which are connected with terracotta ridge and hip tiles. Slim, comparatively subtle chimneys create a fine finish to the end gables. The current windows and doors, whilst still being of timber are not original: leaded lights were part of the initial design as illustrated on the plans. Another interesting feature are the geometric design elements, seen in relief plaques to the corners of the building and some details in the decorative gables, which seem to foreshadow the art deco developments that would emerge a decade or 2 later. The building is a strong composition, accommodating the same use since it was built, and admirably holding its own in a changing street scene. Dunston Excelsior Social Club was formed in a house in Athol Street in 1907. They committee undertook fundraising for local people in need, including for starving people within Dunston itself, and the West Stanley pit disaster. Over the years the Club has supported a number of interests including the Pigeon Club, the Whippet Club, two Darts' Teams and two Snooker Teams. This provision has now been reduced to dart-boards and snooker tables. There was a Rifle Range in the club during the First World War and Dunston Lads became the English Rifle Champions. Felling police and the Home Guard used the rifle range before its eventual closure in 1946. In 1940 the British Expeditionary Force were billeted in the Club concert room after their successful evacuation from the beaches of Dunkirk. More recently the club became known nationally, due to the famous antics of local lad and regular Paul Gasgoine, on and off the football pitch. MATERIALS Brick, stone, timber ARCHITECT T R White & S J Stephenson (Grey St, Newcastle) DATES 1909 (plans, moved into 1910) LOCAL LIST




Gateshead Council Local List X20/LL/247; Tyne & Wear Archives T292/Plan/749;

Back to Search Results