Tyne and Wear HER(7684): Sunderland, Wylam Wharf - Details
Sunderland, Wylam Wharf
Water Transport Site
Wylam Wharf lies in the historic centre of the city between Low Street and the south bank of the Wear, immediately east of the Corporation Fish Quay. Its western boundary is formed by the Rose Line building (HER ref. 4792), a late 18th century warehouse. The wharf is fist mentioned in 1601, and later 17th century records refer to ballast staiths and tenements in the area. The wharf acquired its modern name when sold in 1819 for £1,990 to Edward Wylam. Many of the earlier buildings on the wharf were cleared in the mid-19th century. Excavations in 1994 identified several phases of activity represented by various structural remains and finds of pottery and clay pipes dateable to the later 16th century and later.
Griffiths W B, 1995, Wylam Wharf, Sunderland. Unpublished report by Tyne and Wear Museums for Tyne and Wear Development Corporation. Corder W, unpubished, Sunderland Parish Vol. 1: Low Street, The Corder Manuscripts 33.