Tyne and Wear HER(7685): Springwell, Mount Farm (Mount House) - Details
Springwell, Mount Farm (Mount House)
Agriculture and Subsistence
Land Use Site
The origins of The Mount Farm are not known, but until 1750 it formed part of the estate of the Hilton family of Great Usworth, and in 1755 comprised 258 acres, 2 roods and 6 perches. By around 1800 it had grown to 453 acres, 0 roods and 22 perches, but by 1844 had contracted a little to 404 acres, 3 roods and 21 perches. Some of the field boundaries associated with the farm appear to have remained unchanged since the 18th century. The former farmhouse is now known as Mount House.
Anon., 1994, Springwell Site 1: Mount Lane – Archaeological Assessment for North East Water. Unpublished report, p.1-2. Washington Parish Registers Vol. 2, Baptisms 1723-73. Newcastle Central Library Local Studies Section. Tithe plan for Great Usworth Township in the Parish of Washington, 1844. Archives and Special Collections, College Green, Durham. Ref. EP/Wa3/2.