Tyne and Wear HER(7686): Springwell, The Mount (Mount Lonnen) - Details
Springwell, The Mount (Mount Lonnen)
The origins of the hamlet formerly known as The Mount (now Long Row in Mount Lonnen) are unclear, but it probably originated as a mining settlement. References in Washingron Parish registers show that as early as 1729 The Mount was inhabited by pitmen, probably working at Mount Moor Colliery. Until 1750 it formed part of the estate of the Hilton family of Great Usworth.
Anon., 1994, Springwell Site 1: Mount Lane – Archaeological Assessment for North East Water. Unpublished report, p.1-2. Washington Parish Registers Vol. 2, Baptisms 1723-73. Newcastle Central Library Local Studies Section.