Tyne and Wear HER(7687): Newcastle, Clavering Place, Presbyterian Chapel - Details
Newcastle, Clavering Place, Presbyterian Chapel
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Chapel, later offices for BEMCO. 1822 by John Green for United Secession Church. English bond brick with ashlar dressings; felt covered roof. Basement and 3 storeys. Gothic revival style. 2-storey arched recesses with impost string. Central inserted loading door under intersecting traceried top light in stone arch. Tudor arch in brick to half-glazed office entrance between first and second bays. Stone Tudor arches to all windows. Cornice and blocking course. Low-pitched hipped roof has central ridge ventilator. Demolished in 2011 after damage from heavy snow.
The Archaeological Practice, 2003; Thomas Oliver, 1844, Historical and Descriptive Reference to the Public Buildings on the Plan of the Borough of Newcastle upon Tyne and Gateshead; Grace McCombie, 2009, Newcastle and Gateshead - Pevsner Architectural Guide, p. 20, 108; Henty Louw, pers comment, 9 Feb 2011; Peter F Ryder, 2012, Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Newcastle and N Tyneside, a survey