Tyne and Wear HER(7690): Newcastle, Hanover Square, St Nicholas’s Mission School - Details
Newcastle, Hanover Square, St Nicholas’s Mission School
St Nicholas’s School is shown on the 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey plans occupying ground between the northern part of Hanover Square (South) and the city walls, north of the junction with Hanover Street. The school was established c.1890 around the nucleus of a brick building built on the south side of Hanover Square in the 1720s. It survived until 1937, when it was taken over by the neighbouring Federation Brewery for use as fermenting rooms.
Ordnance Survey second edition map 1890