Tyne and Wear HER(7699): Newcastle, Milk Market - Details
Title of image: Milk Market, Sandgate
Artist: J. Walker
Date: 19th Century
Description: Illustration of people at the Milk Market in Newcastle.
Additional info: Engraving
Location/Collection: Robinson Library Special Collections, local illustrations
Accession number: ILL/11/208
Provider: Robinson Library Newcastle University
Copyright: Â© Copyright 2013 Newcastle University
Newcastle, Milk Market
Where the locals bought their milk and meat at a daily market. Where the locals bought their milk and meat at a daily market. A large open space at the western end of Sandgate. A market keeper was appointed by the Corporation in 1717. Knowles and Boyle record that the late nineteenth century market here, held on a Saturday, was for the sale of various goods including old clothing, tools and 'remnants of mercery'. The houses on the east side of the Milk Market were known as 'Folly' named after the exploits of a Captain Cuthbert Dykes, post-master and town surveyor, who built a water-engine here in 1681 to supply the lower parts of the town with water.
Jack and John Leslie, 2003, Down Our Streets - Newcastle's street names explored; W.H. Knowles and J.R. Boyle, 1890, Vestigaes of Old Newcastle and Gateshead, p 87; DH Heslop et al, 1995, Excavation of the Town Wall in the Milk Market, Newcastle upon Tyne, Archaeologia Aeliana, 5th Series, Vol 23 (1995), pp 215-34; Barbara Harbottle, 2009, The Medieval Archaeology of Newcastle in Diana Newton and AJ Pollard (eds), 2009, Newcastle and Gateshead before 1700, pages 29-30; S. Wrathmell, 1975, Deserted and shrunken villages in southern Northumberland from the twelfth to the twentieth centuries, unpublished PhD thesis, University College, Cardiff, p 167, T Williamson and L Bellamy, 1987, Property and landscape - a social history of the land ownership and the English countryside, p 209