Tyne and Wear HER(7705): Birtley Hall - Details
Birtley Hall was built for J. Warwick by John Dobson in 1843, replacing the older hall dating to 1692. The house was a plain stone house in a wooded estate, overlooking Birtley Iron Works. Many owners of the property were managers of the works, including G. Skipsey in 1828, Benjamin Thompson in 1834, John Hine Hunt in 1851 and Edward Perkins (1821-71) in 1865. Perkins made many alterations. In 1906 the house was occupied by Herbert Fenwick, Charles (son of Edward) Perkins' son-in-law. The last occupant was Henry Angus Murton. Birtley Hall was demolished c. 1916.
Meadow, P & Waterson, E. 1993, â€˜Lost Houses of County Durhamâ€™; A Plan of Birtley Township, 1821 (DRO D/X 1103/27). 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, surveyed c.1855. Lancaster University Archaeology Unit, 1996, Birtley Lane, Birtley, Tyne and Wear: Archaeological Assessment. Unpublished report for Turney-Wylde (Construction) Ltd. (T&W HER 1996/9); George Nairn and Dorothy Rand, 1997, Images of England - Birtley, p 39; N. Pevsner and E. Williamson, 1983, The Buildings of England: County Durham, page 101