Tyne and Wear HER(7706): Hetton-le-Hole, Hetton Hall - Details
Hetton-le-Hole, Hetton Hall
Hetton Hall was bought in 1686 by John Spearman. His grandson John Spearman (d.1746) sold Hetton to the Countess of Strathmore, who gave it to her younger son Thomas Lyon (1741-96). By 1834 Hetton was called "an excellent deserted manor house" and by 1857 it was the seat of Nicholas Wood (d.1865), mining engineer. The Hall's mid 19th century style suggests that Wood rebuilt it. By 1902 it was unoccupied, and after falling into disrepair, was demolished in 1923.
Meadow, P & Waterson, E. 1993, â€˜Lost Houses of County Durham', page 317; Hetton Local & Natural History Society, 2015, The Hetton Village Atlas p203