Tyne and Wear HER(7708): Gateshead, Saltwell Hall - Details
Title of image: Saltwell Hall (Saltwellside Hall), Saltwell Road, Gateshead
Date: Date Unknown
Description: A Tudor mansion, this was demolished in November 1936.
Location/Collection: Gateshead Libraries/Gateshead Local Studies Image Collection
Accession number: GL003367
Copyright: Content Copyright Â© Gateshead Council. All Rights Reserved.
Gateshead, Saltwell Hall
The house was built in the late 16th or early 17th century, being owned by the Hedworths of Harraton, and the 17th Century owners were the Halls and Maddisons. The Hall and 110 acres was owned in 1805 by Joseph Dunn, in 1850 the house was owned by Charles Bulmer of the Tyne Iron Company. In 1939 John Rowell, the Brewer, owned the House, and his wife was the last known occupant. In 1903 the majority of the land was sold to become Saltwell Cemetery, and the Hall became an isolation hospital. Saltwell Hall was demolished in 1936.
Manders, F. W. 1973. ‘A History of Gateshead’, page 130; Meadow, P & Waterson, E. 1993, ‘Lost Houses of County Durham’, page 34