Tyne and Wear HER(7718): Gateshead, Farnacres - Details
Farnacres in the Team Valley, passed to the Liddells of Ravensworth in 1671. In the eighteenth century it was the home of Nicholas Watson (d.1795), their bailiff. Nineteenth and twentieth century tenants were Rev. RH Williamson, John Barras (brewer), Mark Archer (Dunston engineer) and FW Bernard, the "Low Fell Giant", the last occupant. It was a long house with a sweeping verandah. It had a "museum" of stuffed birds, rocks and minerals. Described in 1932 as "a pleasant ivy-covered house or hall, which stands in the midst of a well-kept lawn". From the 1930s the Team Valley Trading Estate encroached more and more, and Farnacres was demolished in the 1960s.
Meadow, P & Waterson, E. 1993, â€˜Lost Houses of County Durhamâ€™; D. Lumley, 1932, The Story of Gateshead Town, pp 95-98