Tyne and Wear HER(7748): Birtley, Institute - Details
An ‘Institute’ building of L-shaped plan is shown on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map of 1898, but not on the 1st edition surveyed c.1855. Its position appears to be at the east end of Harras Bank, west of the entrance to Birtley Hall drive. It had been replaced by housing by the time the 3rd edition Ordnance Survey map was published in 1919.
2nd edition Ordnance Survey map, c.1898.