Tyne and Wear HER(7760): Killingworth, The Royal Road - Details
Killingworth, The Royal Road
Road Transport Site
The road from Killingworth village to Backworth, via East House Farm, is thought likely to be that named in an early 14th century document as the royal road. The derivation of the name is not recorded, but it is described as skirting the east side of a field called ‘The Chesters’ (HER ref. 7758).
Archaeology Department, Tyne and Wear Museums, 1996, N. Tyneside: Dudley-Holystone Water Main – Assessment of Archaeological Potential. Unpublished report for Northumbrian Water, p4. (T&W HER 1996/17) Northumberland County History, Vol. 9, 1909, p. 26.