Tyne and Wear HER(7761): Killingworth Racecourse at Scaffold Hill - Details
Killingworth Racecourse at Scaffold Hill
Racing Sports Site
The place-name Scaffold Hill is derived from the stands used for spectators at Newcastle races, which were held on Killingworth Moor in the 17th and 18th centuries. The first record of racing there is from 1632 when the Newcastle Corporation paid £20 for 'two silver potts' to be raced for on Killingworth Moor. Racing continued there until the end of the 18th century.
Enclosure Awards, 1793, Killingworth Moor, Northumberland Records Office, QRA 35. M.H. Dodds, 1930, Killingworth Township, Northumberland County History, XIII, 418, 421. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle, 1917, Newcastle Races, 3, VII (for 1915-16), 245-47; Pearson, Lynn, 2010, Played in Tyne and Wear - Charting the heritage of people at play, p 11