Tyne and Wear HER(7776): East Boldon, Grange Park - Details
East Boldon, Grange Park
Gardens Parks and Urban Spaces
From Front Street, Grange Park is entered via a metal archway through a tall brick wall. The park has teo different character areas - the demolished villa's (HER 7729) 'lost' gardens with snaking paths and ornamental shrubs, and the flatter more open parkland to the north created at the turn of the 20th century. The parkland has simple rose gardens, ornamental avenues, shrub borders, mature hedges and a large central lawn with goal posts and benches. Stone edged tarmac paths and an avenue of tall trees line the park. Beyond to the north is a playing field with play equipment and a line of ornamental trees behind red railings.
North of England Civic Trust on behalf of South Tyneside Council, February 2006, East Boldon Conservation Area Character Appraisal; East Boldon School Centenary 1885-1985; M. Linge, The Story of Boldon; A. Middleton, 1983, Boldon's Witness in Church and Community; N. Pevsner, 1953, The Buildings of England: County Durham; W. Wilson, 1935, A Short History of Boldon