Tyne and Wear HER(7788): Heworth, White House - Details
Heworth, White House
White House was located on a hill above Heworth. A sundial on the south side was dated 1680. In the 1600s it was owned by the Jennisons, a Roman Catholic family. In the late seventeenth century it was bought by Edward Colville, Newcastle butcher, then it passed to John Stafford of Monkwearmouth, and then in 1820 to Richard Carnaby Foster, his son and grandson. The last owner, up to 1938, was Thomas Maltby Clague, chemist. In 1939-45 the house was used to store potatoes and turnips. By 1960 it was derelict, and was demolished soon after.
P. Meadows and E. Waterson, 1993, Lost Houses of County Durham, p 35