Tyne and Wear HER(7789): South Shields, Thompson's Hall - Details
South Shields, Thompson's Hall
Major Thompson lived at Thompson's Hall in 1819, at which time it was called Hill House. It is also occasionally referred to as High Hall. It must have been one of the very best domestic buildings in Georgian South Shields. It was one of several sizeable houses on the riverside. It later became tenements with the addition of a further storey. A beer shop was added in the side elevation. The house was demolished to make way for a road scheme.
P. Meadows and E. Waterson, 1993, Lost Houses of County Durham, p 36