Tyne and Wear HER(7790): Westoe House - Details
Westoe House was first recorded in 1753. At the time it was owned by Robert Walker, butcher from Newcastle. An earlier house was incorporated into the north-eastern corner. Robert Ingham, the first MP for South Shields, inherited it in 1825. The house was altered by its late nineteenth century owner, Matthew Cay, shipowner. The last private owner died in 1943 and the Ingham Infirmary bought it but never used it. In 1958 it was demolished.
P. Meadows and E. Waterson, 1993, Lost Houses of County Durham, p 36