Tyne and Wear HER(7791): Simonside Hall - Details
This was the seat of Robert Wallis, who opened the first shipyard in South Shields in about 1720. After his death, his second son John built or rebuilt Simonside Hall in 1784. The battlemented front parapet and rear tower must have been nineteenth century additions. South Shields A.F.C took a lease on the estate in 1947. Demolished in about 1973.
P. Meadows and E. Waterson, 1993, Lost Houses of County Durham, p 37